Credit for Prior Learning

Some students come to CCC already having proficiency in one or more courses. Credit can be received for prior course work, life experience, or examination. When considering students for advanced standing, the College is guided by the recommendations of the American Council on Education and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and reserves the right to evaluate all academic work in terms of current validity. The learning experience must be at the college level.

Degree candidates must complete a minimum of 30 program hours of credit in residence at CCC. Fees are assessed for many of the methods listed below.

There are several methods by which credit is granted:

1. Transfer Credit

Credit-bearing transfer courses (at C level or above) may be accepted from any regionally accredited, candidate, or correspondent  institution of higher education or NYS Education Department chartered degree-granting institution. There shall be no limit on the number of transfer credits accepted. However some programs have special requirements regarding transfer credit.

Transfer credit can be awarded for course work taken from a foreign institution. The transcript from the foreign institution must be    evaluated by an approved agency (World Education Services). The foreign institution must be accredited and a grade of C or better must have been achieved for the course work.

Credit for military or other training programs may be earned through any of the following means: military course work, non-collegiate institution sponsored courses/workshops as recommended for credit by the American Council on Education, course work approved by the New York State Education Department (National College Credit Recommendation Service [NCCRS]) or a CCC associate dean and CCC approved training programs offered through industry.

An applicant who has attended other colleges, post-secondary schools, or the military and who wishes to receive transfer credit for work completed must provide the Admissions Office with an official transcript from each school/organization. A student must complete a minimum of 30 program hours of credit for a degree at CCC.  For certificate students, 50% of the program hours of credit must be completed at CCC.

Please note that not all accepted transfer courses may apply to the program requirements that a student is registered in. If a transfer credit does not appear as accepted and the student earned a C or higher, the student will need to submit a course description to the Registrar's office. The course will be reviewed by the appropriate department to determine equivalency.

2. Credit by Examination

Credit may be awarded to students who earn an appropriate grade in any of the following exams:

  • CCC Challenge Exams
  • Excelsior College exams
  • Advanced Placement (AP) exams offered through the College Board
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support DANTES exams
  • Defense Subjects Standardized Tests (DSST)
  • Advanced International Certificate of Education Program (AICE)
  • A-Levels (Advanced Level Qualifications)
  • American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) proficiency assessments
  • UExcel Credit by Exam (Excelsior College)

In some cases, CCC course work or other demonstration of skills may be required before credit is granted. You may obtain credit for these courses by successfully completing the exam (provided the academic divisions have comprehensive examinations available). Your transcript will show the credit earned. No letter grade is given; this credit will not affect your GPA (Grade Point Average). There is no limit to the amount of credit that can be earned in this manner; however, this credit does not apply to the residency requirement. Make arrangements through the appropriate academic division. Contact the Registrar’s Office or an advisor for information.

3. Articulated Credit

Articulated credit is earned via industry licensures, credentials, and certification. Students are encouraged to present any credentials they’ve earned to the appropriate Associate Dean of Instruction. If determined eligible, credit will be awarded to the student’s CCC transcript as CR. Credentials will be evaluated based on the College’s transfer policies. Contact the Registrar’s Office or an advisor for information.

4. Portfolio Assessment

To demonstrate learning done out of the classroom, students also have the option of creating a portfolio targeting the specific course outcomes of a needed class. Corning Community College follows the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) guidelines for individual portfolio development. Students who plan to complete a portfolio must have college credit for ENGL1010, College Composition I. Students should discuss this option with the Associate Dean of Instruction for the appropriate academic division. Not all colleges will accept credit for portfolios, so students who plan to transfer should check with their prospective transfer college(s). Credit through portfolio assessment is granted by an academic division. Persons who have gained college-level learning through work or other experiences may demonstrate that knowledge through various methods (performance, oral, or written). These credits are not considered CCC residency credits, but are treated as transfer credit. Contact the Registrar’s Office or an advisor for information.

5. Credit for Military or Other Training Programs

See Transfer Credit or Credit for Prior Learning. For consideration of credit for military service, submit an official academic transcript to the Admissions Office.